Top 10 Nigerian Music Producers
A Music producer’s input towards the success of a song, or a compilation of songs, is usually downplayed in these parts of the world unfortunately. Music producers deserve more credit than they are given in the Nigerian Music Industry as a lot of musicians rely on them for ideas, and many of the artistes cannot even write music without “hearing the beat”. This shows how instrumental the input of music producers could be (pun intended) towards creating master pieces with artistes they work with.
In an industry that thrives on banging beats and melodies with little to no meaningful lyrical content, we can agree that the music producers are the life of the party but unsung heroes as well. Over the years, we have been able to attribute certain popular producers to a string of hit records, some of them have even become house hold names and role models for upcoming producers.
However, the year 2018 has been quite different, one you would arguably call the year of the underdogs when you look at the names of the producers behind many of the biggest hits out this year. In retrospect, we at 1604 think these are the Top 10 Nigerian Music Producers of the year 2018 and this list was compiled in no particular order, based on the following criteria: Hits, creativity and consistency
1. Killertunes – There is no disputing the fact that Killertunes has had such an amazing year as we have come to recognize the signature “Shabalistica!” as akin to hit records and bangers. Following up on the success of tracks he produced last year like Yeba by Kizz Daniel and Manya by Wizkid, he topped up his production credits by working on some of the biggest hits out of the music industry this year, including Fake love by Duncan Mighty and Wizkid, Dj spinall’s Baba which features Kizz daniel, Bobo by Mayorkun and Davido. Olamide’s Motigbana etc. He definitely deserves a spot on this list and any other list of top music producers for the year 2018.
2. Fresh VDM – Most of the debates about who should be the producer of the year for 2018 , have been centered around Fresh and the earlier mentioned Killertunes and this is no surprise as Fresh has also been outstanding this year. Following up on the success of Davido’s FIA in 2017 which he produced, The DMW in house producer also worked on some of the big hits of 2018 from his camp including Nwa baby by Davido , AJE, Mind, Ada and AZA which featured Duncan Mighty. He’s definitely left us saying “Damn fresh” this year and deserves his spot on this list.
3. Northboi – Northboi makes this list for his input on one of the biggest if not the second biggest song of 2018, Soco! By Wizkid, Terri, Spotless and Ceeza Milli. He also produced Posh by Mayorkun , and has production credits on Gucci Snake and Fever by Wizkid .
4. Phantom – Phantom also makes our list for his input on Burna Boy’s Ye which is arguably the biggest song of 2018. Now you might contest his spot on this list as you might tag him as being a ‘one hit wonder’ for now, but then again he also makes this list for his creativity. The vocals on the track that sounded like “oh baby your body so fine” were his own vocals which he sampled unto the track and that came out as total flames. Though he also worked on master groove by wizkid, his catalogue of hits is not up there yet and if this list had a section for honorable mentions, maybe we would have put him there. We’re not doing that though, so Phantom makes our list and we look forward to hearing more from him in the coming year.
5. Speroachbeatz – This is another member of The DMW family we need to look out for. He produced two smashing hits this year, Davido’s Assurance and 2Baba’s Amaka which features fellow DMW mate Peruzzi. “Sperooooooach beats!”
6. Rexxie – Rexxie makes our list for his work on Able God by Chinko Ekun ft Lil Kesh and Zlatan Ibile as well as Zanku by Zlatan Ibile which have been two of the biggest songs of 2018 and of this Zanku Wave.
7. Kel P – Kel P kind of sound likes Del B right? If you disagree it’s all good, you can cut us some slack. At least, we do not think Able God sounds like Ebuka *laughs*. Kel P is responsible for producing two hit tracks from Burna boy this year titled Gbona and On the Low. He’s really dope and has earned his spot on this list.
8. Spellz – Spellz makes our list for his work on Tiwa savage’s Lova lova which featured Duncan Mighty and Askamaya by Teni which were Smashing records for 2018.
9. Sarz – Sarz was rather quiet this year. We usually expect more musical ‘trouble’ than he gave us. In his quiet state however, he still gave us some hits we can remember from 2018 including Diet by Dj Enimoney featuring Tiwa savage, Reminisce and Slimcase, Energy by Skepta featuring Wizkid, Bana by Niniola and Ola dips’s street banger ‘Lakukulala’ . They took sars off the street but could never take sarz off the beat.
10. Pheelz – “Pheelz Mr producer” makes our list mainly for his creative work on Adekunle Gold’s Single ‘Ire’ and on the album “About 30” which has ‘ire’ on it as well. Ire is such good timeless music, beyond trends and quick hits. A song that will keep getting better over the months and years every time you listen to it. Pheelz also produced the viral track ‘surrender’ by Mr Eazi which features Simi and that song had everybody buzzing. A relatively quiet year from Pheelz but he earns his spot on this list regardless.
That concludes our list, Kindly let’s know what you think about our list of Top 10 Nigerian Music Producers for the year 2018, by sounding off via the comment section.
Latest posts by 1604TROT (see all)
- Music: Megan Thee Stallion – Sex Talk - 22 March, 2019
- STREAM: NAV – Bad Habits Album - 22 March, 2019
- Music: Lil Duval – Pull Up (Remix) Ft. 2 Chainz & Ty Dolla Sign - 22 March, 2019